The Institute for Social Science Research (ISSR) is an interdisciplinary organization with a broad mission to promote and conduct research in the social sciences at the University of Alabama. Through its research efforts the Institute also provides opportunities for graduate training in social science research. Service to those outside the University is provided through research partnerships with agencies and organizations throughout the state. ISSR was established in 1984 by the College of Arts and Sciences and is located at 306 Paul Bryant Drive East.
ISSR provides a wide range of support for research activities at the University:
- Policy-relevant social research with an interdisciplinary perspective;
- Facilitation and support of collaborative research projects with University researchers and scientists from other institutions;
- Support for the research infrastructure at the University, especially in the social and behavioral sciences;
- Local, statewide, and national telephone interviewing by the Capstone Poll;
- Consultation on statistical analysis and social and behavioral research methodology;
- Facilitation and support of evaluation research projects with University researchers and scientists from other institutions;
- Research experience for graduate and undergraduate student through research assistantships;
- Access to the Experimental Social Science Research Laboratory for computer-based data collection;
- Access to the data archive of the Capstone Poll. (check with Tom about ICPSR).